Skip to main content

Alternative Discrimination and the Workforce





To Preface this, some questions should be answered:

1) Is being alternative a choice, or fashion style that can be easily removed like a costume?
2) Who sets the standard of acceptable dress codes?

1) I do not believe it's as much of a choice as most people would say it is. I believe there's underlying psychological factors that make a person attracted to things outside of 'the norm;' especially things of a morbid nature. Alternative people seem to have less of a fear/disgust response than most people. There also have been links by psychologists, between tattoos, piercings, body scarification, and sexual orientation:

https://www.encyclopedia.com/social-sciences/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/piercings-tattoos-and-scars

2) Where do "the rules" regarding what is 'acceptable' or 'normal' stem from? Those are socially mores based on religion, and gender roles. It's the same reason why men are told in the work force that they cannot wear eyeliner and women are expected to not shave their heads. If there wasn't such an influence by Judaeo-Christian theocracy, many of these 'norms' would be non-existent.

So, with that being said, society is the way it is. Is there a way to circumvent being able to maintain self-expression while having a stable career? Thankfully, like everything, we live in a world full of nuance.

With pop culture adopting many alternative styles such as unnatural hair color, tattoos, this is becoming blasè.

What is a reasonable dresscode? Is allowing someone to stroll into a bank teller position whilst looking like Tank Girl reasonable? Not in today's current society. Is allowing clean, unnatural, say purple, dyed hair, with glasses, a suit and tie? That is becoming more of the future, and is already happening in major cities.

Starbucks already allows employees to have any hair color as long as it's kept well, and a nose stud.

***The Discrimination Factor***

What do I mean when I say alternative people are discriminated against? I would even argue that alternative people are discriminated against more than many other marginalized groups of people.

1. They are seen as subversive against religion (which is many a times the case, and thank goodness for that, let religion die!). Because they deviate from traditional gender roles, and in the case of piercings (depending on where), are open displays of being proud of being kinky.

2. Old fashioned notions of rock n roll and drugs. The baby boomers grew up in a time where 'hard rock' meant shooting up heroin and waking up the next morning with 10 STDs. Unfortunately, this stereotype gets passed on down to today's alternative youth. Despite many straight edge movements, and some subcultures that encourage academia, the stigma will need another generation to die off to be free from.

3. Homophobia. Take the Gothic Subculture, for instance. It's a subculture where often, at least in the better scenes (especially Germany), men wear makeup, have long hair, are in touch with their feminine/androgynous side, whilst being completely heterosexual. Men are always treated more unfairly in that regard (see: women being tomboys being seen in some cases as endearing).

4. Simple fear/disgust due to beauty standards. Hollywood culture tells society that it's socially acceptable to dowse one's self with spray on tan, more botox to pollute the Pacific Ocean, wear baggy jeans that fall so low that a person's vertical smile gives everyone a friendly 'hello,' or in the South, to have a 20 missing teeth, have rugged leathery skin due to being 'fuck it' about taking one's health in consideration. In today's society, it's more socially acceptable to be trailer park trash or looking like a Springer Show guest than to actually be a Goth, Metalhead, Punk, et cetera. Because the alternative subcultures are subversive, and terrify those with a high fear/disgust response.


**Last take**

No one really mentions it, but even groups that are deemed marginalized, have a hatred toward alternative styles. Turn on any mainstream show focused around style/beauty. It isn't uncommon to see a flamboyant, gay, man, critiquing and mocking someone for having an alternative style. He'll shriek and make some reference to a 1980's musician that doesn't even make sense (see: calling a Goth woman 'Cyndi Lauper).

Sometimes POC communities are super intertwined with conservative, religious, values. I've known several people who grew up in South Central Los Angeles, who were attacked for how they look, by people that also deal with being attacked for their ethnicity (make it make sense. you can't).

Popular posts from this blog

I Don't Want to Game/Stream As Much Anymore.

 It's been a year of soul-searching.  And in that, I've discovered just how much time I've wasted, not only PLAYING video games, but outside of playing them, hanging out in those spaces.  I've always been drawn to games with certain visual aesthetics. Be they dark, whimsical and anime-esque, tasteful fanservice, I've always gone for characters that I could relate to, wearing outfits that I would wear. And it kind of turns me off knowing that, if I'm playing a game, say Cyberpunk 2077, Vampire the Maquerade, The First Descendant, Stellar Blade, I'm thinking "holy shit, I wouldn't mind cosplaying this character," or "I wouldn't mind wearing a similar outfit to a nightclub," but the majority of people sitting behind the computer screen are dumpy guys, probably wearing a baseball cap, and saying "bruh" and "sheeeesh!" a lot.  I've always hated how CHAV and dweeb-ish gaming spaces are.  Even games that were play

Malleable & Dizzy

Yapping, as they say. Don't care. Where else would I?  Being a social pariah again. Only this time, I'm not in the deep South. Because extreme views take many forms.  So many bridges burned, that I'm used to the fumes, too emotionally exhausted, and nihilistic to even consider if they're toxic to breath in.  Portland broke me. I met a hero, something you should never do. I tasted my 15 minutes of social relevancy. I could have ignored the ulterior motives, still felt like I had a friend, and a social circle, support network, but I pulled the plug on it. It hurts more to have lost someone I thought was a friend, the social isolation that resulted from it, is another story, not to mention how that person, like so many in Portland, became an extremist himself.  I'm leaving back to the place I never thought I'd ever miss again. I thought this was "home." Being uprooted doesn't hurt as much when you're younger. But I'm exhausted from instability

(Net)diving Back Into Cyberpunk 2077

 I promise it's not for the smut.  Although the smut is good. It's artsy, and aesthetically delicious. Playing through the game, and obsessively trying to Platinum Trophy it, I'm noticing all the new easter eggs.  Edgerunners reference, David Rodriuez mentioned, his jacket logo painted on the wall. Padre knows of him and his legacy. Sorry not sorry, Judy looks better with longer hair; not the hipster side shave. It's hideous. I speak as someone that had one for 10 years.  "Laguna Bend" AKA Laguna Beach. Thee gurl is from there, says we'll go visit there now LOL. Man I'm homesick. "Hippocratic Oath" Maaaan, I've been working in Healthcare too long.  More Edgerunners references: